The artwork at Tullie House was eventually installed in their Roman Gallery on 26th November, by the Tullie House team.
Photos below: by Tullie House
Early start as we had to be in the café before it opened whilst the art installation was put up by two National Park Rangers, then off to Vindolanda to hand over the original artwork for the Roman Army Museum project and banners for display at Vindolanda and on the gate at Fort Magna. We then collected the Vindolanda Gatehouse and whisked it off to the Sill where it was on display an hour later! Landscape looked really atmospheric as we drove between the two sites. Fantastic day today as the exhibition is now up apart from the items to be delivered next week, Sarah Burn and her team have been superb. It is so good to see all the work finally up!
The pictures here show it all.
The Sill have pulled a big install team together from their Learning and Engagement Team. Only Sarah Burn has done this kind of thing before so this is excellent CPD for everyone - ready for another exhibition at the Sill! They were amazing and all set about installing different artworks - many hands make light work. This is the first time the Sill have had an exhibition throughout their building in this way and my design and the colour links are working well. Additionally there is no hanging system in these spaces so everything has to be freestanding or hung with command strips so the walls remain pristine - another challenge!
Worked until 3am - who says student hours finish when you are out in the big wide world! I had to mount the rest of the copper and gold leaves onto the lines which was time-consuming but had to be done for the morning as I didn’t know when the NNP Rangers would be available to hang the work. Earlier in the day I had been working with Clare, making tweaks and small repairs along with preparation all the hanging materials - all these things make for a speedy and professional installation when the time comes. Clare was impressed with all the spreadsheets I shared during the project management.
Crazy busy bringing everything together! The exhibition layout had to be approved the the Sill, exhibition graphics pulled together, interpretation panels written and designed and artwork completed.
Then the booklet had to be completed, proofread and sent off to the printers so it would be ready for the celebration. This was a really interesting process and I learned a lot. We registered with a printing house so we could publish the work with an ISBN number and barcode and had to submit a copy to the British Library - another project legacy!
Meanwhile I was collecting hanging materials for the installation. Parachute cord, special 3M sticky fixers approved by the Sill so we didn’t damage the walls, fabric to provide a backdrop to the pots, etc. Even though I live in a small village in Cumbria, using Amazon everything can come to me with the minimum of fuss, reducing my carbon footprint chasing all these items.
Sunday: Today has been busy sending out invitations for our celebration event on 1st December and writing publicity information for distribution.
The Banners for Banna, banners are now completed ready for English Heritage to approve - hopefully tomorrow - then they can go off for printing.
Friday: Once more at Tullie House working with Catherine and Tina, assembling the Frontier Voices Wall installation, which is looking great! Thank you everyone! We even recorded some Frontier Voices to include in the display in the gallery. Unfortunately we couldn’t actually install our Wall in the gallery as the installation person allocated to us has contracted Covid. Tullie House will install it in the gallery as soon as they can. However we photographed the work so we can now prepare the second version for the Sill exhibition.
Frances has been in touch from Corbridge Roman Museum and sent me photos of a few of the Corbridge pots made by the Northumberland Scout camp now on display at the museum until at least the end of January. Here are her photos alongside a real Roman face-pot on show in the gallery.
Thursday: I spent the morning at The Sill Discovery Centre finalising the artworks for the exhibition with Sarah Burns and Mandy Roberts, agreeing all the details for the celebration event on the afternoon of 1st December. It’s going to be a good event but the installation will be challenging - we just have so much fantastic work to show!
Then back to my studio to complete and assemble some of the embossing work ready for Tullie House tomorrow.
Wednesday: Roman Army Museum artwork has now been photographed and put into banner format and looks really good! We are having one to go up at Vindolanda over the winter, which will move to the Roman Army Museum when it opens after the winter. We are also having one printed to go on the gate beside Fort Magna so walkers can see the actual site - but this one will have micro-holes in the fabric to let the wind through!
Had a really good meeting with Nigel Mills as we reviewed all the international work and worked out what needed to be done for the Dutch delegation that is coming to the celebration. I am going to have quite a bit of presentation work to do for the fantastic Limestor project currently on show at Dalkingen, to do it justice here.
Tuesday: I confirmed frame and mounting types for displaying the votive plaques inspired by Carrawbrugh for English Heritage at Chesters Fort and they have been ordered. I have chosen a specific red mounting card to show the metal embossed foil off at its best!
All photographs copyright